1. Get a menorah! This one is pretty.
2. Go to Grand Army Plaza to watch a giant menorah lighting.
4. Go have dinner at Mile End.
5. Rewatch the Rugrat’s Chanukah episode. Because you watched it the first time.
6. Listen to NPR’s Hanukkah Lights; stories from authors.
7. Attend a Ashkenazi vs. Sephardic culinary face-off.
8. Learn about the true meaning of the holiday.
9. Instead of gelt, treat yourself to some Vosges chocolate.
10. Get in the festive spirit. Buy a christmas tree, then decorate it! Or just get a Hanukkah bush.
Speaking of Thanksgiving, I’m currently in the midst of menu planning with members of my family who are all located around the country, and this year we’re gathering in Palm Beach. It’s the first time we’re all celebrating together, and everyone will be contributing in some way to the meal. I am responsible for desserts, since I have a lot of experience eating them and stuff, so I’m trying to figure out what to do. Here are some things I am considering doing:
Things I will definitely do
- Spend several hours in advance of Thanksgiving on Food52 browsing and thinking of things that I may or may not make, but that all look really good
- Buy a lot of cocktail mixers, mix them, and then drink cocktails
- Change it up every few hours with prosecco
- Be responsible for dessert
- Eat more than I am accustomed to
- Feel guilty about eating more than I am accustomed to
- Run in a Turkey Trot 5k (see above)
- Track that run on Runkeeper
- Run some more
- Go to the beach (I’m going to Florida, people)
Things I might do
- Pick up a pie from Four and Twenty Blackbirds, Momofuku’s Milk Bar, or Steve’s Authentic Key Lime Pie (Key Lime Pie, People! FLORIDA!) and then lovingly carry that pie with me from JFK to Palm Beach
- Related: explain myself, a lot, while carrying pies on the plane
- Convince everyone that I did in fact make the delicious, pre-packaged pies myself
- Attempt a homemade version of the wonderful, fabulous, sugar-rich Crack Pie from Milk Bar
- Just make rice krispies and see how that goes over
Things I won’t do
- Not eat
- Play the 2012 Thanksgiving National Anthem more than once
- Become a Republican